Our Family in California

Our Family in California

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Troubling Thoughts


The past couple of weeks have been eventful.  We now have another trip to Panama to renew our visas under our belts.  We have gone through the preparations, church services, and fun times of Christmas in a different culture, and we have been keeping up with our current responsibilities at the youth center.  But for this blog post I'm not going to tell tales of life in Costa Rica.  I'm not going to share stories of brand new experiences or strange circumstances.

     As a matter of fact I have been putting this post off.  (You may have noticed that it's been longer than normal between blogs.)  The reason for this is that lately when I read The Word of God I have been finding disturbing things.  Things that keep me awake at night.  Things that are difficult to write or talk about, but things that I feel like I am supposed to share here.

    So, I'm going to share some troubling thoughts, but I share them as one who is on this journey and not as one who has already arrived.  I share them as a true friend is supposed to share things with those he cares about.

“On judgement day many will say to me, ‘Lord!  Lord!  We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’  But I will reply, ‘I never knew you.  Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’  
Mt. 7:22 - 23

 I guess I always skimmed over this before and assumed that this described separating sheep from goats.  However, now that I give this some consideration I see more and more that this is a separating of sheep from those who THINK that they are sheep!  

      This is terrifying!  No unbeliever I know would claim to have cast out demons, or performed miracles, or prophesied in God’s name.  Does this imply that we may be sitting next to people in church that are not known by God?  Does this mean that we need to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling?  Are we to examine our relationship with God and encourage other Christians to do the same?

      Just when I thought this was one of the scariest things I had ever read, I came across a parable later in Matthew...  I want to type this all out for you as you may not have a Bible handy whey you read this and I want you to read what I read for yourself!  

“Then the Kingdom of Heaven will be like ten bridesmaids who took their lamps and went to meet the bridegroom.  Five of them were foolish, and five were wise.  The five who were foolish didn’t take enough olive oil for their lamps, but the other five were wise enough to take along extra oil.  When the bridegroom was delayed, they all became drowsy and fell asleep.
At midnight they were all roused by the shout, ‘Look, the bridegroom is coming!  Come out and meet him!’
All the bridesmaids got up and prepared their lamps.  Then the five foolish ones asked the others, ‘Please give us some of your oil because our lamps are going out.’
But the others replied, ‘We don’t have enough for all of us.  Go to a shop and buy some for yourselves.’
But while they were gone to buy oil, the bridegroom came.  Then those who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast, and the door was locked.  Later, when the other five bridesmaids returned, they stood outside, calling, ‘Lord!  Lord!  Open the door for us!’
But he called back, ‘Believe me, I don’t know you!’”       Mt. 25:1 - 12

It seems like the same group of people, are again in this story, being turned away from a reward they thought they would receive.  These are people that did what they could to prepare for the marriage feast, they went out and waited with lamps burning, and when they saw they didn’t have enough oil they did what they could to keep their lights from going out.  But, the door was locked...  And they were told that they were not known by the bridegroom. 
They were too late!  They were left in the dark!  And this is where the story ends.   

So, what just happened?  Why didn’t Jesus tell a story where 9 out of 10 made it or even 80%?  In Mt. 7, Jesus uses the word many!  I don’t know about you but 50% really leaves a person with a sick feeling inside!

If these are all people that think that they are saved, what is the difference between the two groups?  What is the oil?  It seems to me that there is only one correct answer.  What is the one thing that a follower of Christ could not share with someone to help save their souls in their hour of need?  What is something that is an external source of power that we get to carry with us wherever we go?  What can be used by a follower of Christ to bring light to the darkness and to our path?  

I don't think the answer is a thing at all but a Who!  The Holy Spirit is the only possible solution!  He is the difference between those who do the right things in their own strength, but run out and burn out, and those who seem to have an extra power source.  He is the difference between the lives of those doing “good things” for God, and those being led to right things in and through the power of God.  He is the difference!

No amount of wearing yourself out for God will impress in the end.  He wants to know us!  Is it possible that the God of all creation really would not know (on an intellectual level) those who were turned away?  A friend pointed out that this word is the same one used in other places in the Bible to explain the intimate knowing between a husband and a wife.  HE WANTS TO KNOW US!  Do we allow Him to?  Do we place our relationship with Him in this type of a category?

There is nothing wrong with walking the isle and repeating a prayer after a salvation message, but I don’t see it mentioned in the Bible.  I do see that God calls us to repent and be baptized and receive the Holy Spirit.  I don’t know about you but I want to be drenched in The Holy Spirit!  Not because I fear hell (and I do) but because I want to live a life totally surrendered to His control and with His power!  I know it won’t be an easy road, but I choose The Comforter over any other comfort, and know that His ways are always better than the world’s.

This is a truth that I feel God has led me to in the past couple of weeks and I can’t shake the feeling that I am supposed to share it.  I hope that this post does not come across in any way other than a letter of encouragement from one friend to another.

In the midst of this busy season and New Year’s resolutions I’ve been challenged to take another look at my relationship with The Comforter.   I hope you will be too!  

        Please check out the column on the side for our family's prayer requests and please keep praying!  In addition to these, we are learning of some huge opportunities and praying that God will use us in these areas in His time. (We'll share more as we are able to.) 

    
        Happy New Year!
         The Ridderings


 P.S.  If you want to support our ministry, the easiest way to do it is via www.WorldOutreach.org/donations -  you can select Aaron and Faith Riddering from the list under the donate tab.  You can also set up automatic monthly gifts with your credit card if you choose the "Monthly" option.  Or, simply mail your check to:  World Outreach Ministries, PO Box B, Marietta, GA 30061 and designate for Aaron & Faith Riddering #239 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for that post. We do not have it in our power to seek after God, let alone to make ourselves acceptable to God apart from the finished work of Jesus Christ. Unfortunately, many in the church have gone after strange doctrine and a strange gospel whereby they desire to "enjoy their best lives now" and seek the blessings of God instead of the person of God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so encouraged by the post, and by the things the Lord is teaching you and your family!
    Your faith has always been an encouragement to me Aaron, thanks for sharing this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, this speaks to me too. I have grown up in church my whole life, but it revolved around studying and knowing scriptures, getting my doctrines and teachings right, but not about knowing Him and hearing Him and being filled with the Holy Spirit, etc. God has been working to get me to be still before Him, learning to hear Him speak to me, and relearning the truth about what the true gospel is. I do believe the true gospel has gotten lost in America, among all the divisions of the churches.
    Still seeking Him. Thank you for your humbling message. Miss you guys. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep sharing your stories and the things the Lord is teaching you guys along the way! There is nothing more powerful than testimonies. <3

    ReplyDelete